Saturday, March 29, 2014

"For Christ did not send me to baptize but to preach the gospel, and not with words of eloquent wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power."
~1 Corinthians 1:17~

Sometimes I get confused.  Sometimes I read debates or sometimes even people will talk "theology" with me and use words I have no idea the meaning of. So when these big words are used I immediately get the thoughts of, "I am stupid.  I am an dumb Christian who knows nothing.  I should study more theological books so I can understand these debates".  Yes! I beat myself up.  

I read the cross-reference of the verse above and this is where the first one took me. 

"And I, when I came to you, brothers, did not come proclaiming to you the testimony of God with lofty speech or wisdom.  For I decided to know nothing among you except Jesus Christ and him crucified.  And I was with you in weakness and in fear and much trembling, and my speech and my message were not in plausible words of wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power, that your faith might not rest in the wisdom of men but in the power of God."
~1 Corinthians 2:1-5~

Now! I am no theologian and I may be using this completely out of context and if so, you stop me! I would never want to use God's word incorrectly.  But to me this spoke volumes.  Because I could choose to get caught up in the theological debates.  I could choose to use bigger words and maybe I should...but this also confirms my "ill thoughts" of myself.  It's OKAY to just know Jesus and him being crucified and risen!  God made His glory plain for all to see and He made his message simple for even a child to understand.  Praise God! I'm not stupid or a poor example of a Christian woman! 

We are preparing for Easter Sunday as a family.  Soaking in the gospel and the life of Jesus.  Lamenting over his death and rejoicing in His resurrection! Today we are focusing on the Last Supper...the "eucharist".  I am always sitting jaw dropped at this verse during the last supper. 
"And he took a cup, and when he had given thanks he gave it to them..."

This is Jesus Christ...God in the flesh.  He knows the beginning and the end.  He KNOWS what is going to happen to him and what does he do? He gives thanks.  He gives thanks!  What an example he has given us.  He's sitting at the table with his betrayer and he breaks the bread, representing his body and pours the drink representing his blood and he doesn't cry out to God...he doesn't relish in accusing Judas and he doesn't get bitter....he gives thanks. 
Ann Voskamp puts it perfectly,
"The Last Supper was the world's most costly feast: You, God incarnate, gave Your flesh as our food, Your blood as our drink."

We have betrayed our Heavenly Father and we daily sin against him...but He still invites us to the table.  He still lets us sit with him...even though we are drenched in sin, anger, lust, lies, thanklessness, greed....we can take the bread and take that cup.  If God can give thanks before the world turns against him and crucifies him...how can we not give thanks in all things? WE complain about so much....feel we deserve so much more and fail daily to give thanks for everything we have, which often times is too much.  

This is not a hard concept to understand.  This doesn't need to be a theological debate.  This doesn't need translation.  It's simple...Christ broke for us and gave thanks! 
me? humbled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment