Sunday, October 20, 2013

15 years...and counting



Fifteen years ago today there was this tall handsome man with amazing blue/green eyes and dark brown hair.  He had the most contagious smile.  I remember staying after school a bit and running into him.  He had "heard" that I liked him and he expressed his interest in me :).  He put his arm around my shoulders while walking down the hall and asked me to be his girlfriend.  Ha! He was an amateur and totally nervous but none the less he asked and I said "yes" !

Yes we were fourteen and I know that that is technically not dating because we had to have our parents drive us to the movies but he was my boyfriend and I was on cloud nine with him.  I can honestly say that I would never have thought that he would be my husband 7 years later.  He stuck with me through thick and thin and to be honest there was a lot of thick in our high school years. 

He came from a family with three brothers and parents who stayed married, had family dinners nightly and did family vacations.  He met me who came from a huge family, divorced parents and lots of drama and fighting...he stuck with me.  He lost his brother in a terrible accident our junior year and high school and I was able to be with him through that.  

I truly believe that we were "ahead of the game" even when we were dating.  We weren't like most couples in our grade.  Every friday night we ordered pizza, rented a movie and had to watch AFV (America's funniest home videos) while eating pizza.  Yes we enjoyed some football games and the main dances but never went to parties or did what typical couples were doing on friday nights.  I feel we matured together through my family drama and the loss of his brother.  He definitely made a choice to stay with me because I believe any other man would have ran ;) . 

He chose to marry me and make me his wife.  Never would I have thought that the little boy who put his arm around me and asked me to be his girlfriend our freshman year in high school would turn out to be the man of my forever dreams...my husband...the father of my children...my best friend!

Happy 15 years honey! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment