Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Fruit of the Spirit Day #10




William Hendriksen says that the Syriac New Testament translates the word gentle as "restful"; accordingly, Jesus' expression is, "Come to me...and I will rest you...for I am restful...and you shall find rest for yourselves."

This is the day that the Lord has made! What comes next? .....Let us rejoice and be glad in it! Sometimes I wake up with the lies of Satan so incredibly heavy ... so I'm just openly admitting today girls that today is going to be a CHOICE and HARD WORK to keep my eyes focused on Christ and not my failures!

So Today I will be praying through Psalm 63. Just take a little listen... 
"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."




Let's pray. Jesus, thank you for your goodness. Thank you for your faithfulness. Thank you for your love and your kindness. Thank you for the joy you give and thank you so much for your gentleness! Thank you for your promises of dealing with those weak gently. Thank you that your power is made perfect in our weakness. We are so desperately in need of you Lord...help us to see that daily and make that choice to seek you earnestly.



" Both gentleness and meekness are born of power, not weakness."
Listen to Isaiah 40 which describes the power of God but also the gentleness.
"See, the Sovereign Lord comes with power." (verse 10)
"Surely the nations are like a drop in a bucket; they are regarded as dust on the scales; he weighs the islands as though they were fin dust." (verse 15)
"To whom will you compare me? Or who is my equal?" says the Holy One. Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. Because of his great power and mighty strength, not one of them is missing." (verse 25-26)




"Tucked in the middle of this description of God's power are these words: 
He tends his flock like a shepherd: He gathers the lambs in his arms and carries them close to his heart; he gently leads those that have young." (verse 11)

"The same passage that stresses the infiniteness of God's power also beautifully portrays His gentleness. We should never be afraid that the gentleness of the Spirit means weakness of character. It takes strength, God's strength, to be truly gentle."



Questions:
1. To what degree do you see gentleness as weakness or timidity?
2. In what ways is God gentle?
3. What aspects of gentleness would you like to develop in yourself?
4. Why does it take strength to be gentle?
Take a self test here: On a scale of 0 to 5 (0 = this is not at all true of you and 5= this is strongly true of you), rate yourself on the following qualities. Then ask a friend to rate you.
I am sensitive to other peoples rights and feelings
People relax in my presence. They don't have to worry about being looked down on or criticized
I don't condemn other people for their weakness. I speak the truth gently until their true need is exposed and they are open to my help
I am sensitive to others' opinions and ideas
I don't make people feel guilty for being less serious about their faith than I am.
I seek to change someone's wrong opinion or attitude by persuasion and kindness, not by domination or intimidation
I don't threaten people, either directly or indirectly
I avoid blunt speech and an abrupt manner
I talk to people with sensitivity and respect
I'm not threatened by opposition. I don't resent those who oppose me.
I don't degrade or belittle or gossip about someone who falls into sin. Instead I will grieve and pray for the person.
I am fair, considerate, and generous rather than rigid or exacting.
I listen to reason.

No comments:

Post a Comment