Monday, August 26, 2013

this....sister

Today is a day that changes everything, yet changes nothing.  

Twelve years ago my mom met this man.  A man I do believe she loved.  She wanted
to give her heart to him and he gave her a ring.  It wasn't a long relationship and it left her alone,
heartbroken for the millionth time and carrying a child inside.

My mom was never rich.  My mom was barely even set at times but one thing I can say for sure
is that my mom loved us, she loved children and she loved the sanctity of life.  She chose to carry that child
despite the financial struggle ahead, despite raising that child alone and despite all of the more
"convenient" options.

I remember it clearly.  I was being walked down the football field on Homecoming night in the running
for Homecoming Queen.  My parents stood on the track waiting for me and my mom...in pain.
The next morning she went to the hospital as I was getting ready for the Homecoming Dance.  Although this
was her sixth child, she was scared and alone. 

I got ready for the dance and instead of going out to eat with my handsome date (now my husband) we
went and met my baby sister.  A tiny (premie sized) red head little blessing.  My mom chose life.  Oh, how grateful we all
are for that. 

That man never came back into her life and she struggled.  But she grew a faith in Christ during that time that showed.
She met another man years later.  A man who wasn't bothered by the thought of that little red head girl.
Twelve years later that man is asking to be her official dad.  Today, that happens!
Although I have never EVER viewed her as anything less than my full blooded sister, legally she is my half sister.  
So today changes nothing.  In my heart she has always been my sister and John has been her dad.  But today, also changes everything!

Mom, I am so proud of you for choosing life, knowing it was going to be difficult and challenging.
John, thank you for loving Paige as your own.  Thank you for stepping into that dad role once again and treating her as if she was nothing less than your own.
Paige, you spunky little red head...I love you like a sister and always have!  I am so happy for you today!




Love that little red head girl!



No comments:

Post a Comment