Monday, February 3, 2014

7 literal days or the one million years day....??



So friday we took our classroom to the Museum!



we had so much learning about all of the dinosaurs.  Of course as an adult I took in so much more but the kids really had fun exploring and learning.  If you can't tell by this picture...they were easily distracted....










Of course my brother and I got on a discussion regarding dinosaurs, science and the Bible.  Timelines and theories.   After our day together my husband and I had an event to attend at church and when we got back at 9:30 my brother got the movie Genesis Code up on the tv from netflix and we sat and watched it.......got my wheels turning and my brain thinking....creation...can it be more than a literal 7 day creation? Could it be true that one day could really be a million years and science and the Bible mesh together? 

Now I am no theologian....I have not taken classes in it or claim to know it all...in fact I have many people in my life who would call me a simple minded Christian...conservative.  Just an fyi...I'm okay with that.  There is a reason God says in the Bible to come to Jesus like a child would.....small, simple and in love.

Here are my thoughts.  God knows the beginning and the end.  He knew the beginning and the end since the beginning.  He knew what the world would turn into and what his people...what his children would do.  God knew how we were going to measure time and he spoke it in the Bible.  "There was morning and there was evening...the first day".  Thanks to my wise husband who tells me all of the time, "major on the majors and minor on the minors".  To some this may be a major...to me it's a minor.  I am simple minded and some may call me uneducated but I read the story of creation and take it literally.  God created everything in 7 literal days.  Science tries to prove there was no creation and then you have some Christians who use science to try and prove creation.  But here is the thing....the Bible...it's not a story about creation...it's a story about redemption.  The minute we start taking the Bible and poking holes in it ... start adding and changing things we start poking holes in the Gospel.  And when we start poking holes, isn't it really just trying to justify our sins? Isn't it just trying to make us feel better? Isn't it cheapening grace? "There is no hell, everyone no matter what you believe will live eternally in heaven, adultery, lusting, lying, stealing, cheating, homosexuality, pre-marital sex...all of that is okay.  It was translated wrong and the correct greek word that was used doesn't mean that"....blah blah blah.  You're justifying... and when you poke holes in the gospel and justify your life by doing so you are saying to God, "your sons sacrifice wasn't needed".  You are slapping God directly in the face and that my friends is a dangerous place to be because there will be a day where we will see God face to face...and He will either know you as His child or He will not know you at all.   

So scoff at me, call me simple minded, uneducated or conservative (because that now is a bad thing) - but I want to always have a child-like faith.  I want to always see God the way He wants me to see Him and I want to read the Bible as my redemption story.

"Brace yourself like a man; I will question you and you will answer me.  Where were you when I laid the earth's foundation? Tell me, if you understand.  Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know! Who stretched a measuring line across it? On what were its footings set, or who laid its cornerstone - while the morning stars sang together and all the angels shouted for joy?  Who shut up the sea behind doors when it burst forth from the womb, when I made the clouds its garment and wrapped it in thick darkness, when I fixed limits for it and set its doors and bars in place, when I said, 'This far you may come and no farther; here is where your proud waves halt'? Have you ever given orders to the morning, or shown the dawn it's place, that it might take the earth by the edges and shake the wicked out of it? ... Have you journeyed to the springs of the sea or walked in the recesses of the deep?  Have the gates of death been shown to you? Have you seen the gates of the shadow of death? Have you comprehended the vast expanses of the earth? Tell me, if you know all of this."
Job 38

God is eternal...He knows....we do not. This is not God mocking Job or being sarcastic...this is God confirming His eternal, Majestic and ever so powerful state.  This is God saying, "I got this"...This is God reminding us that we are His...that HE CREATED US.  There are things we will not understand (like the trinity, creation, pre-destination) and those things He might not even share with us in our eternity....but does it matter? Is it a major or a minor? We have no idea what it was like when nothing turned into everything.....I believe in a God who could have done that in seconds...so whether it was 7 days or a 7 one million days...the fact is that this God...he.is.amazing.breathtaking.majestic. powerful.infinite.eternal.

3 comments:

  1. May I respectfully submit that knowledge of God's word (education) can and many times does make us even more child-like in our faith? Simply taking Him at His word (believing what you learn) and also looking for clues where He reinforces those ideas elsewhere, such as the passage in Job that you referenced or, my personal favorite, Exodus 20:8 - 11. In this passage from the 10 commandments, YHWH takes time to explain the reason for the command. The instruction is to remember (Heb. Keep in mind) the Sabbath day and set it apart as special to YHWH, your Elohim. EVERYONE gets the day off. Those are the instructions. And then verse 11 justifies the request by reminding them of Genesis 1&2. "For (because) in 6 days YHWH made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but He rested (Finished, completed His work. Heb. 4:3-11) on the seventh day. Therefore (For this reason) YHWH set that day aside as special. (My paraphrase with Mr. Vines help). Many people work hard to explain away those words, but a simple faith looks at what it says and concludes "I believe you, God". This command was given, not only to give physical rest to a tired body, but even more that this "bride" would show forth in her normal activities the wonders of her "husbands' workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you use the original YHWH most would write Yahweh or God ;) thanks for responding....and we honestly didn't take literally the rest of the 7th day until a few years ago...Brian felt convicted that we were using Sundays as another work day...now it's a rest day, reflect on church and His creation...changed our lives really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And so, as you learned (became educated), the more simple your faith. It really works like that! Growing up into childhood. :-)

    ReplyDelete